Quivira National Wildlife Refuge Park
Quivira National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) was established in 1955 to provide wintering and migration stopover habitat for migratory birds along the Central Flyway of North America. The name "Quivira" comes from a Native American tribe that lived in the area when the explorer, Coronado, visited in 1541. It is believed to mean "raccoon eyes" in reference to tattoos that resembled a raccoon's mask around the eyes of the area's Native Americans. For years, the marshes of Quivira NWR have attracted thousands of migrating waterfowl. These marshes, together with a wide diversity of other habitats, provide food, cover, and protection for wildlife. Wetlands, large and small, are present throughout the Refuge; there are approximately 7,000 acres of wetlands with slightly to moderately saline water. Thousands of Canada geese, ducks, and other migratory birds, such as sandhill cranes and shorebirds, use these wetlands as they pass through the Refuge on their annual migrations.
RR 3, Box 48A
Stafford, KS, 67578